Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Surprise Cairn Discovery!

Because its reading week right now I have managed to escape Victoria and school work.  I now find myself back at home on Bowen Island in the tiny house my brother and I affectionately  call "the shack." Its really great to be at home and not worrying about homework or midterms for the first time in months.  I'm sure the relaxing time will go by much faster than I anticipate.

This morning I went to for a walk with my mother and grandmother.  While we were walking through the forest near my house we walked past a pile of stones which possessed remarkable similarities to the burial cairns we reviewed in class.   I asked my family to stop so I could investigate the stones further after I explained what I thought the stones were.  The stones spanned about two paces long and were raised about a foot (maybe more) above the ground into a natural mound.  The cairn was in a natural clearing in the forest right beside the path was were walking on.  I was truly amazed to discover that a burial cairn had been found so close to my house on a path that we walk along regularly. Furthermore, I was surprised that I had never noticed it before and that my family had been unaware of its existence. I know that Bowen Island used to be inhabited by the Squamish Nation, at least until 150 years ago. I wonder if this cairn belonged to a member of their tribe, or possibly a different one. I also wondered how old the grave was and if there were more?

As we walked away my grandma told me that my brother and I had played on the mound as children with tonka trucks and ponies. 

I will return to the site to snap some photos of the cairn tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment