Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Mr. Walt Disney

How different is Carbon Freezing
 from Crynogenic Freezing?
When considering unique and remarkable internment styles my mind instantly wanders to the magic and mystery concerning Walt Disney.  Many years ago, I was told that Walt Disney the creator of Micky Mouse, Donald Duck and Snow White had been frozen immediately after his death.  I always pictured this process would be similar to the freezing of Han Solo in The Empire Strikes Back; in my imagination I picture Walt Disney frozen in suspended animation with a hopeless twinkle in his eye, just like the Star Wars character. Theoretically Walt Disney had been frozen so his body could one day in the far future be cured of disease that had killed him and be brought back to life (Stuttaford 1996).  Even though Walt Disney died thirty years before I was  born, I was comforted by the fact that the creator of my favorite cartoons would one day be back to create more. 


A quick search on the internet quickly burst this image!

It turns out that Walt Disney died of lung cancer following a heart attack in December 1966.  He was cremated two days after his death and was never given a formal funeral, which was his own personal request.  Having his body crynogenically frozen and stored under the Pirate of the Caribbean ride was a myth created by optimists eagerly awaiting his return.  Most likely the same optimists who claim Elvis never died of a heart attack and Michael Jacksons mass funeral at Staples Center was a hoax.  Hoping for the return of these influential superstars is much easier than accepting their death. 

Still curious about crynogenical freezing I conducted several more searches to investigate the practice.  Although it certainly wasn't possible in the 1960s. The cryopreservation process requires a body to be cooled to below -196°C (Stuttaford 1996).  At this temperature all cell processes stop, including the reaction that lead to the destruction of the cell after death.  A special solution called cryoprotectant is used to prevent the cells being damaged by the icy temperatures.  This process is currently used to store unfertilized eggs and semen.    Wikipedia states that by July 2010 98 humans have been cryogenically frozen to date along with about 70 of their pets (2011).  The process is extremely expensive and offers no promises that the frozen individuals will ever be revived.  

I personally find the idea of reviving frozen individual a little spooky.  I would not want my own body (or pets body) to be preserved forever.  I think the idea of gradually dissolving into everything is a little more poetic.  Furthermore, I find the idea of resurrection just a little creepy.  When these individuals are awoken will they still be themselves?  Will they be able to connect to the "new" world?  I would only really want to come back if the people I knew and loved were still around.  Finally, this practice of "burial" has some detrimental effects on the environment.  The process requires the continual drain of resources to keep these individuals permanently frozen, which I feel is almost selfish of them.  


Instead of considering the resurrection of the dead, I think it is important for everyone to remember the wonderful Mr. Walt Disney who brought a little bit of imagination into everyones lives.  (And who created everyones favourite childhood movies!!!) Therefore I will leave you with a photo of Mr. Walt Disney and his most famous creation, Mickey Mouse. 


I always wonder what he's thinking!



References:
Stuttaford, A., 1996. Frozen Future, National Review 48 (16), pp. 30-31.

Wikipedia, 2011. Cryopreservation [Online] (Updated 4 January 2011) Available at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic_freezing [Accessed 25
January 2011].

Image Credits:
Serpentine, Julius, 2006. Dixar Us. [Online] (Updated 30 January 2006) Available at: http://thevault.slantmouth.com/entertainment/dixar-us/ (Accessed 25 January 2011)

May, Geoff, 2011. Top Ten Inventions You Didn't Know Were Canadian
[Online] (Updated 1 July 2010) Available at: http://www.bite.ca/
bitedaily/2010/07/top-10-inventions-you-didnt-know-were-
canadian/(Accessed 25 January 2011).

1 comment:

  1. But.... but.... Walt Disney is never coming back!?

    You know, I think I love this course. I learn new things from your blogs on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete